• when you make use of our website; and
• when you apply for and use certain services;
in particular the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (“POPIA”) any other relevant legislation, to protect your personal information
and to keep it confidential, even when you are no longer our customer.
use, please visit http://www.soapbarn.co.za
website terms and conditions of use.
do not continue to use the website and/or apply for services or use the services we provide.
collect from you, from your use of our services, from your use of our website, or from third parties involved in our business dealings with you.
You agree that we may "collect, collate, process and/or store" your Personal Information, as defined in POPIA, ("process") for, amongst other
things, (i) the purposes of providing you with access to the website and the website content; and (ii) for any of the purposes.
It is your right that when there are reasonable grounds to believe that your Personal Information has been accessed or acquired by any unauthorised
person, we will notify the relevant Regulator and you, unless a public body responsible for detection, prevention or investigation of offences or
the relevant Regulator informs us that notifying you will impede a criminal investigation or there is another legal ground to deny same to you.
When we notify you that your Personal Information has been accessed or acquired, we will provide you with sufficient information to allow you to
take protective measures against the potential consequences of the compromise.
By submitting your details and/or by using the Soap Barn website and/or services we provide, you accept the terms and conditions of this Privacy
Policy and explicitly consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information in the manner set out below.
• What is Personal Information?
“Personal information” as defined in Section 1 of POPIA means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person and where it is
applicable, an identifiable juristic person, including but not limited to:
• information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age,
physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of a person;
• any information relating to an identifying number, symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number or other particular assignment to a person;
• information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of a person;
• the blood type or any other biometric information of a person;
• personal opinions, views or preferences of a person;
• the views or opinions of another individual about the person;
• the name of a person if it appears with other Personal Information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal
information about the person,
• correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal
the contents of the original correspondence; and
• the name of the person if it appears with other Personal Information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal
information about the person.
• How we collect your Personal Information
Whenever you complete an application form, contact us electronically or telephonically, apply for or use the services provided by us, or use our
website, we collect your Personal Information.
• How we use your Personal Information
You agree that we may use the information, including the Personal Information we hold about you, in the following ways:
• to identify you;
• in order for us to process your instructions or requests;
• to deliver our goods to you;
• in order for us to ensure that we provide you with the best possible service at all times;
• in order for us to ensure that we meet your needs, we may collect and analyse your personal information and combine all the information that we
have about you to compile a profile of you in order for us to personalise and tailor our services to meet your specific needs;
• in aggregate form for purposes of generating statistics and developing strategic and marketing plans;
• to allow you to participate in interactive features of our services, when you choose to do so;
• to carry out any contracts that may exist between us;
• to notify you about changes to our goods or services;
• once we have collected and analysed your Personal Information, we may send you promotional material or details which we think may be of interest
to you. If any of this promotional information relates to products, promotions, news or services of an affiliate party (which may include our
business partners and sub-contractors) (“affiliate”), and if you indicate that you would like more details, we may inform the affiliate party to
contact you directly. We will however only inform an affiliate to contact you directly if you have indicated that this is agreeable to you.
You have the option to opt out of receiving any marketing or other material from us at any stage.
• Disclosures of your Personal Information
We will not sell, rent or provide your Personal Information to unauthorised entities or any other third parties, for their independent use
(other than as provided herein), without your express consent. If at any stage, after you have given us your consent, you no longer wish for
us to use or share your Personal Information with an affiliate, you may withdraw your consent however, your Personal Information may also be
shared under the following circumstances:
• when required by the laws of the Republic of South Africa and in the public interest. In such instances, we reserve the right to disclose
your Personal Information as required in order to comply with our legal obligations or duty, including but not limited to complying with
court orders, warrants, subpoenas, service of process requirements, discovery requests or lawful criminal investigations;
• under special circumstances where we have reason to believe that such disclosure is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action
against a party who may be breaching our website terms and conditions or may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally
or unintentionally) our rights or property, other users, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities.
• From whom we collect Personal Information
Personal information will be collected directly from you, or our affiliates, except if:
• the information is contained in a public record or has deliberately been made public by you;
• you have consented to the collection of the information from another source;
• collection of the information from another source would not prejudice a legitimate interest you may have;
• collection of the information from another source is necessary –
• to avoid prejudice to the maintenance of the law by any public body, including the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution and punishment of offences;
• to enforce a law imposing a pecuniary penalty;
• to enforce legislation concerning the collection of revenue as defined in relevant local legislation;
• for the conduct of proceedings in any court or tribunal that have commenced or are reasonably contemplated; or
• in the legitimate interests of national security.
• Personal Information that we collect
Personal Information collected about you and your dependants or employees may include:
• General identification and contact information
Your name, identity number, address, e-mail address, telephone number, gender, marital status, family status, date of birth, passwords and activity records.
• Financial information and account details
Bank account number and account details, credit history and credit score and other financial information.
• Protection of your Personal Information
We value the information that you choose to provide us with and we will take reasonable steps to protect your Personal Information from loss,
misuse or unauthorised alteration. The information we maintain concerning our customers is stored in databases that have built-in safeguards to
ensure the privacy and confidentiality of that information. However, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure
and we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to our website. Any transmission of your information to our website is
entirely at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent
When you use the services or facilities provided by us, you may be given a user name and password. You are responsible for maintaining the
secrecy and confidentiality of your user name and password. Please do not share your password with anyone.
• Update of your Personal Information
It is your responsibility to ensure that we have your correct Personal Information on our system. If you ever need to update or correct any of
your Personal Information held by us, you can update and correct your information yourself by logging onto
• Consumer Protection Act 68 of 2008 (“CPA”) and POPIA
We subscribe to the CPA and the principles outlined Section 11, in which you have the right to restrict unwanted marketing, which includes your
right to refuse to accept, require us to discontinue or to pre-emptively block communication about any marketing from us. Moreover, in terms of
POPIA, You have the right to object to the processing of your Personal Information, at any time, if the processing is for purposes of direct
marketing other than direct marketing by means of unsolicited electronic communications and you have not given your consent for that processing.
You have the right not to have your Personal Information processed for purposes of direct marketing by means of unsolicited electronic
communications from third parties unknown to you.
We reserve the right, in our sole discretion to amend (including without limitation, by the addition of new terms and conditions) this
• Your Consent
• You consent that we may disclose your Personal Information to approved third party providers where necessary;
• You agree that once your information has been de-identified (i.e.: delete any information that identifies you or your directors, employees,
officers, agents, representatives, consultants, contractors and/or subcontractors), Personal Information may be shared under the following
• with ourselves, our agents, advisers, service providers and suppliers for analysing purposes;
• to monitor web traffic: web servers serving the website automatically, collect information about pages you visit. This information is used for
internal review, to tailor information to individual visitors and for traffic audits;
• for statistical purposes: we may perform statistical analyses in order to measure interest in the various areas of the website (for product
• for government and law enforcement agencies, where the law requires that we disclose your Personal Information to a party, and where we have
reason to believe that a disclosure of Personal Information is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against a party who may
property, other users, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities.
• where such consent is necessary in order to give effect to our agreements signed between you and ourselves.
• Your rights
• You have the right to request that we correct, destroy or delete any of your Personal Information that we have processed in accordance with
this policy. The Personal Information that you may request us to correct, destroy or delete is Personal Information that has been processed
that is inaccurate, irrelevant, excessive, out of date, incomplete, misleading, obtained unlawfully or that we are no longer authorised to retain.
• You have the right to withdraw your consent for us to process your Personal Information at any time. The withdrawal of your consent can only
be made by you on the condition that:
• the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the processing of your Personal Information before the withdrawal of your consent; or
the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the processing of your Personal Information if the processing is in compliance with an
obligation imposed by law on us; or
• the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the processing of your Personal Information where such processing is necessary for the proper
performance of a public law duty by a public body;
• the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the processing of your Personal Information as required to finalise the performance of a contract
in which you are a party; or
• the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the processing of your Personal Information as required to protect your legitimate interests or
our own legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party to whom the information is supplied.
• You have the right to object to the processing of your Personal Information at any time, on reasonable grounds relating to your particular
situation, unless the processing is required by law.
• You can make the objection if the processing of your Personal Information is not necessary for the proper performance of a public law duty by a
public body; or if the processing of your Personal information is not necessary to pursue your legitimate interests; our legitimate interests or
the legitimate interests of a third party to which the information is supplied.
• You have the right not to be subjected to a decision which is based solely on the basis of the automated processing of your Personal Information
intended to provide a profile of you.
• You have the right to submit a complaint to the Information Regulator regarding an alleged interference with the protection of Personal Information
processed in accordance with this policy.
• How do you contact us?